the ugly side of dining rooms



(by meridith falconer)


The dining room table is my proverbial "chicken and egg" syndrome. We rarely eat at it because it's covered with stuff. Since we rarely eat at it, I like to cover it with more stuff. You know, so the stuff is not in the way.


Usually this happens when I clean the desk in the kitchen. All the mail and paper (that you can't throw away, you might it need it some day, and some day could be ten years from now) gathers there. I still have no idea what to do with those things.They are so inconvenient.


I have suffered many hours of frustration and near depression of said piles. I hate them. Hate is a strong word. I hate them. The problem is that the desk, in the kitchen, is the first thing I see when I walk into the house (ok, that's a lie. I have to walk through the laundry room which is also unmentionably messy). There it is, the light at the end of the tunnel. It's like an explosion of legal pads and toddler art work. So, by moving it to the table I avoid the feeling of guilt every time I walk in the door. 


The table is extemely organized! Clothes that we purchased in March for my daughter, but are too big right now, go here, Christmas (yes, the common December holiday) goes there and so on. Cheaper than bins and easy, "at your fingertips" convenience.


Don't be jealous that I thought of this first. You too can have your table reach this type of status. With a little diligence and a whole lot of crap, you'll quickly see that this is attainable.

Comments

Popular Posts